Sunday, April 2, 2017

Sometimes a still life won't hold still.


Here's an interesting subject for a quick gouache study: a frosted cake sitting on the counter at the diner.


It's got it all: chrome, a clear plastic cover, a paper doily, and white frosting. There's a warm underpainting in casein that I can leave mostly intact to represent the linoleum counter.


The only thing is, this is a hard working diner and things are going to move around. I'm just hoping that no one orders a piece of that cake. (Link to video on Facebook).

Previously: Banana Pudding Cake, Donut Jar

-----
The new app: Living Sketchbook, Vol. 1: Boyhood Home takes you deep into moments like this. It's available for iOS on Apple phones and tablets at the App Store and for Android devices at Google Play.

"When I found out about his app, I thought to myself: “Why didn’t I think of that?” It embraces technology and allows users an opportunity to get closer to an artist’s sketchbook. There are buttons that brings out the voice narrations with occasional videos of how he has painted on-site. Imagine a talking sketchbook with videos.”
—Erwin Lian, The Perfect Sketchbook





















4 comments:

Frances Buckmaster said...

Is there any way I can watch your Living Sketchbook app on my regular computer?

Jared Cullum said...

Hey! Just thought I'd share with everyone... I noticed Blick has started carrying the Pentalic watercolor journals in larger sizes. 7x10 and 8.5x11.

James Gurney said...

Frances, sorry, the app technology is optimized for fairly recent mobile smartphones and tablets, and it's a whole different programming language than HTML.

Jared, thanks. I didn't know they made the books in those sizes.

Warren JB said...

Funny! At least the cake held it's pose some of the time.

Again I raise an eyebrow at how much is made of the Pentalic journal's european materials, but it's still not available to europeans! Although I've read some bookbinding articles in the meantime...